Skip to Content

Update: Driver Charged With DUI Manslaughter In Crash That Killed Passenger

Date Added: September 15, 2022 9:45 am

Laura Williams
Office of Public Affairs & Media Relations

May 9, 2022


A 33-year-old Deltona woman was killed over the weekend and the male driver seriously injured after their vehicle went out of control, crossed over a raised median and crashed into a tree at a home in the 1600 block of Providence Boulevard.

The victim, identified as Megan Tapp, was the vehicle’s registered owner. She was pronounced deceased at the scene. The driver, Carlos Palmer, 38, suffered critical injuries and was airlifted to an area hospital where he is recovering from his injuries.

The crash occurred Saturday at about 11:24 p.m. as the pair drove north on Providence Boulevard, near the intersection of Fergason Avenue. Preliminary indications are that the driver lost control of the vehicle, crossed over the median, then landed in the southbound lane. The vehicle continued across the road, then left the roadway and struck a chain-link fence. The vehicle crashed into a tree at the residence before the vehicle stopped.

The victim’s family has been notified. Sheriff’s Office traffic homicide detectives are actively investigating the crash. More information will be released when it becomes available.


Update (9/15/22): The driver in a May 7 crash in Deltona that killed his passenger has been charged with DUI manslaughter and driving with a suspended license resulting in death.

A thorough traffic homicide investigation determined Carlos Palmer (DOB 12/10/1984) had a blood alcohol content of 0.259 g/100 mL and was traveling at least 63 mph in a 35 mph zone at the time of the crash.

Palmer’s license had been suspended since 2010.

Deputies obtained a warrant for Palmer’s arrest in July, but initial attempts to locate him at various addresses were unsuccessful. On Aug. 23, he was taken into custody in Geneva by Seminole County sheriff’s deputies.

Palmer was recently extradited to the Volusia County Branch Jail, where he remains in custody with a total bond of $110,000.

We use cookies to provide and improve our services. By using our site, you consent to cookies.