Skip to Content

Update: Shooter Arrested: 1 Shot, Injured During Altercation In DeLand Area

Date Added: February 06, 2022 12:41 pm

Andrew Gant
Office of Public Affairs & Media Relations


Volusia sheriff's detectives are investigating a shooting that injured one person during an altercation Saturday night in the DeLand area.

The shooting was reported shortly before 10 p.m. on the 400 block of South Blue Lake Avenue, DeLand. Shortly after that, deputies learned a person with gunshot wounds had arrived at a residence about a mile and a half away, on South Kentucky Avenue in DeLand.

It was determined the two calls were related. The resident of the home on Blue Lake Avenue told detectives her ex-boyfriend showed up uninvited, entered her house and confronted her and her current boyfriend. After an argument, he left, but later returned. The couple said the second encounter led to a physical altercation in the front yard, and the ex-boyfriend armed himself with a brick. That’s when the boyfriend retrieved a handgun and shot him.

After he was shot, the ex-boyfriend drove away from the scene to Kentucky Avenue, where he was then transported to a hospital for treatment of life-threatening injuries. He is a 50-year-old DeLand man and was listed in critical condition following emergency surgery.

The investigation is active, and no charges have been filed at this time. More information will be released when it becomes available. 

Case update (Feb. 23, 2022):

The shooter in a Feb. 5 altercation that critically wounded a DeLand man has been charged with attempted murder after a thorough investigation into the incident.

Ryan Hawkins, 45 (DOB 9/18/1976), was arrested without incident Tuesday evening at the location of the incident.

The Sheriff’s Office investigation confirmed that the victim showed up two times, prompting two confrontations at the South Blue Lake Avenue home where Hawkins was inside with his girlfriend. The second encounter led to a physical altercation outside the house, and Hawkins told deputies that after the victim armed himself with a brick, Hawkins fired at him.

The investigation continued, confirming that the victim twice showed up at the house, and a confrontation occurred in the yard. However, detectives determined that Hawkins was actually the first to pick up the brick as a weapon.

Detectives also determined that following the physical fight, Hawkins retreated inside to retrieve a gun. Video evidence showed Hawkins initially fired while the victim was still in the front yard. Then he continued firing as the victim attempted to run away.

The victim had multiple gunshot wounds and was rushed to the hospital with critical, life-threatening injuries. He survived following emergency surgery in the Intensive Care Unit at Central Florida Regional Hospital in Sanford.

At the conclusion of the investigation, it was determined that Hawkins’ actions exceeded self-defense, and detectives obtained a warrant for attempted first-degree murder.

Hawkins was transported to the Volusia County Branch Jail, where he was being held without bond pending his first appearance before a judge Wednesday.

We use cookies to provide and improve our services. By using our site, you consent to cookies.