Skip to Content

Wanted Man Armed With Box Cutter Taken Into Custody After Fleeing At Low Speed, Negotiating With Sheriff Chitwood

Date Added: November 10, 2017 11:02 am

Andrew Gant
Office of Public Affairs & Media Relations

Note: Body-camera and Air One video of this incident is available on VCSO’s Facebook, Twitter and YouTube channel:
*Warning: There is some blood visible at the end of the video.


An armed and reportedly suicidal man with an active arrest warrant was taken into custody safely Thursday evening after spending hours fleeing from and negotiating with law enforcement officers including Sheriff Mike Chitwood, who eventually grabbed the man’s hand before he could stab himself with a box cutter.

The incident began just before 6 p.m. Thursday, when the Sheriff's Office received a call about wanted 29-year-old Julius McLauchlin, who was said to be in his truck at an address on May Street in DeLand.

DeLand PD and VCSO responded to locate the vehicle, which ultimately fled from responding units and continued at low speed throughout DeLand, disregarding several traffic signals and stop signs. Deputies hit the pickup's tires with stop sticks, but McLauchlin kept going.

Sheriff Mike Chitwood, who was in the DeLand area at the time after leaving the Volusia County Fair, was contacted by McLauchlin’s mother while the call was in progress. The sheriff was able to establish phone contact with the McLauchlin, who eventually agreed to stop.

It was discovered McLauchlin was armed with a box cutter and had inflicted severe lacerations to both of his wrists. Even after he stopped the truck, he held the knife to his throat and refused to come away from the vehicle.

After about two hours of negotiations, McLauchlin started to exit the vehicle but still had the knife. He made an attempt to stab himself again when Sheriff Chitwood grabbed his hand to take away the box cutter. McLauchlin pulled away, and deputies moved in to remove him from the truck, deploying two Tasers in the process of gaining control of him. After a brief struggle, he was taken into custody before he caused further harm to himself.

He was treated for his injuries on scene and was transported to Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach for further treatment.

Thanks to the dedication of all involved in this call, there was no loss of life, and no injuries to any law enforcement officers, first responders or members of the public.

We use cookies to provide and improve our services. By using our site, you consent to cookies.